Tuesday 17 May 2011

Beutiful Disston No7

As well as the new saws that I'm making, I also have a collection of old saws. I tend to go for the larger rip and cross cut saws, leaning towards 19th C British saws, but I have a few American saws that have made it over the pond.

My better half often comments that the number of saws keeps on  increasing, and I suppose at some point I'll have to let some move on and find other homes. This will of course then free up some space for more saws.

Most of my old timers are in usable condition, some need straightening and sharpening, and I plan to try and get to these over the next few months.

I'll post these rejuvenated saws on here as they come back to life.


Here is a nice example of a lovely Disston saw. It's a No7 28" rip with 3 1/2 ppi, in very good condition and showing a nice breast to the saw line. Easy to date to 1896-1917 by the medallion.











This saw still has the remains of the paper sticker around the medallion, which originally would have read:

"Years Of Competition Against All Kinds Of Prejudice Has Proved--THIS SAW--To be Superior To Any Other Manufacture. Thousands Testify To This Fact."

Henry Disston was not one for modesty.






If you have a Disston, and want information about it, it's hard to beat the "disstonian Institute" website.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/










The breasted tooth line provides an advantage when cutting green wood. The breast reduces the number of teeth in  contact with the cut, this increases the pressure on the teeth in contact and also allows better removal of the damp sticky green saw dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment